
The Catholic Diocese of Otukpo and the Benue State Police Command have given conflicting accounts regarding the disappearance of seminarian Kelvin Ochai from the residence of the Catholic Bishop of Otukpo, Most Rev. Michael Ekwoyi Apochi.
While the Catholic Diocese insists that the seminarian was kidnapped from the Bishop’s residence on Wednesday night, the police say available evidence does not support an abduction claim at this stage, describing the matter as a missing person case that remains under investigation.
Catholic Diocese Insists Seminarian Was Kidnapped
In a statement released on Friday, the Chancellor of the Catholic Diocese of Otukpo, Rev. Joseph Itodo, said Kelvin Ochai was abducted from the Bishop’s residence located in Asa III, Otukpo.
According to the Diocese, there has been no contact or communication from anyone claiming responsibility for the alleged kidnapping since the incident occurred.
The statement added that Bishop Michael Ekwoyi Apochi expressed deep sorrow over the incident and appealed to members of the Catholic faithful and the general public to pray for the seminarian’s safe return.
The Diocese also assured worshippers that every possible effort was being made to secure Ochai’s release.
Part of the statement read:
“The Catholic Bishop of Otukpo Diocese, Most Rev. Michael Ekwoyi Apochi, expressed deep sadness over the incident and called on all Christ’s faithful within the diocese and people of goodwill to offer earnest prayers for the seminarian’s quick and safe release.
“The Bishop also assured the faithful that efforts are being intensified to secure Mr. Ochai’s freedom.”
The Diocese further entrusted the safety of the missing seminarian, alongside other kidnapping victims across Nigeria, to the intercession of the Blessed Virgin Mary while praying for their safe return.
Benue Police Say It Remains a Missing Person Investigation
The Benue State Police Command, however, has challenged the kidnapping narrative, saying investigators are currently treating the case as a disappearance because there is no confirmed evidence of an abduction.
Speaking on the incident, the Police Public Relations Officer, Peter Aondona, explained that the information available to the command indicates the seminarian left his residence to take a bath at a different location before he went missing.
According to him, the circumstances surrounding the disappearance are still being investigated.
He said:
“The report in our possession is that the seminarian went out to take his bath, and the place where he went is different from where he resides. After some time, he could no longer be found. For now, it is still a case of a missing person.”
Police Deny Receiving Earlier Attempted Kidnap Report
The police spokesperson also dismissed reports suggesting there had been an attempted abduction at the Bishop’s residence about two weeks before the seminarian disappeared.
Aondona stated that no such incident was officially reported to the police at the time.
He explained that the command only became aware of the alleged earlier incident after news of Ochai’s disappearance emerged.
According to him:
“The rumour was that about two weeks ago, some persons came to the house and attempted to abduct the seminarian, but that was never officially reported to us. It was only after this incident that we started hearing about it.”
Investigation Continues as Conflicting Claims Persist
With the Catholic Diocese maintaining that Kelvin Ochai was kidnapped and the Benue State Police insisting the matter is still being investigated as a missing person case, authorities have yet to establish the exact circumstances surrounding the seminarian’s disappearance.
Investigations are ongoing as family members, church leaders, and residents await further developments on the case.



